• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From Blog: Is Vitamin C Destroying Your Mitochondria? Or Is It Saving Their Lives? And another about toxicity of supplements especially C

linusbert

from chris masterjohns blog: https://chrismasterjohnphd.substack.com/p/is-vitamin-c-destroying-your-mitochondria
having some interesting views about vitamin c and how much is too much or helpful and how it influences copper metabolism and q10.

In Does CoQ10 Deserve a Spot on Your Longevity Plan?, I pointed out that phenylalanine hydroxylase is inhibited by the concentrations of vitamin C achieved by repeatedly taking 3 grams orally or by using intravenous vitamin C.

Phenylalanine hydroxylase is needed to convert phenylalanine to tyrosine, and tyrosine is the precursor to the “head” of coenzyme Q10.

Thus, it is very likely that such use of vitamin C inhibits CoQ10 synthesis.

In Vitamin C, Whole Food Vs. Synthetic: Does It Matter?, I covered a study suggesting 500 milligrams of vitamin C taken three times a day with meals for two months lowers serum copper by 5% and lowers ceruloplasmin by 25%. This raises the possibility that taking 1500 milligrams of vitamin C per day with meals decreases copper status, which would be expected to decrease the availability of copper to form complex IV of the mitochondrial respiratory chain. Every oxygen molecule that you use to generate energy is tightly held between a heme iron and a copper ion until it receives the protons and electrons needed to become water. Oxygen is what powers nearly all of metabolism in this way, and that cannot be done without sufficient copper.

As I pointed out in Cancer, IV Drips, and the Glutathione-Vitamin C Connection, vitamin C in excess of the many factors needed for its recycling will generate oxalate, which itself is a mitochondrial toxin that inhibits citric acid cycle activity by 48% at concentrations found on the high end of the “normal” range.

As also pointed out in Cancer, IV Drips, and the Glutathione-Vitamin C Connection, high-dose intravenous vitamin C acts as a pro-oxidant outside the context of sepsis, and this is probably true of repeated oral megadosing. This has the potential to cause oxidative damage to mitochondria. Moreover, oxidation of the glutathione pool has the potential to interfere with the synthesis of mitochondrial proteins.

On the other hand, several case reports (here and here) show that one gram of vitamin C taken every six hours (alongside 10 milligrams of menadione, which I would replace with MK-4 can help mitigate impairments in complex III of the respiratory chain by delivering electrons to a site after complex III, most likely to cytochrome C, so that some ATP can still be made through the activity of complex IV (which of course might stop working if you induce a copper deficiency).

The negative effect on copper absorption can probably be avoided simply by taking high-dose vitamin C away from meals. However, that does not stop it from acting as a pro-oxidant, generating oxalate, or interfering with CoQ10 synthesis.

This is not to say that vitamin C at high doses will necessarily wreck your mitochondria. It is, rather, to say that doses above 400 milligrams should be used with greater caution.

When vitamin C is used at high doses to rewire the respiratory chain it can help if you need it. This is partially analogous to methylene blue, which has a broader number of ways it can rewire the respiratory chain than vitamin C, but also fulfills the principle that it helps you if you need it and hurts you if you don’t.

The best way to test the safety and utility would be to use the Comprehensive Screening for Energy Metabolism to ensure that oxalate levels are not elevated, to look for evidence of a complex III impairment, and to determine its cause, if found, to see if there are other more effective ways to fix it. It would would also be helpful to verify that high-dose vitamin C does not increase resting fasted lactate. Lactate would likely rise in response to a CoQ10 or copper deficit, but could conceivably decrease in response to oxalate inhibiting the citric acid cycle.

If you don’t have a specific reason to megadose vitamin C, it is best to stick to the doses you could get from a very vitamin C-rich whole-foods diet.

also this piece from another person is intersting about toxic supplements. i talk repeatedly about this that supplement industry is putting bad quality products potentially toxic out there.
though the author of the blog certainly took the black pill, i dont think it can be generalized like that, but great care must be taken with supplements, even plain vitamin C.
in general, stay away from everything made and sourced from china. and look for great quality ingredients, for example creatine and creapure, carnitine and carnipure, vitamin C and quali-c etc.
https://chemtrails.substack.com/p/vitamin-c-is-mold-corn-syrup-chemicals
also he does cite bad quality studies, for example linus pauling claimed that IV vitamin C does treat well against cancer, where as the study says that it didnt, but the study didnt use high dose IV but oral. as of today medicine is using again high dose IV vitamin C for cancer treatment. so pauling was right on that point.
also the vitamin C pauling used was produced differently, nowadays its a product from bacteria or fungi. back then they used extraction and refine processes, heat and stuff. and i think the type of C pauling used was sodium ascorbate (but on that i am not sure anymore, cant find the paper where i read that).
in general i would say he is like 80..90% right.

If you read my posts Vitamin D is Rat Poison and Vitamin B is Cyanide, you know I was a huge advocate for synthetic Vitamins and Supplements because of the advice given to me through Bodybuilding forums. The advice for people who are as toned as they can get, but struggling to put on muscle, was to supplement, supplement, supplement; load up on synthetic Vitamins and Protein Powder. Not once did I ever question what was in these products. I had not the slightest clue what the ingredients were, let alone how Supplements are made. For nearly a decade, every morning I voluntarily dosed myself with products from my impressive 6-foot wall shelf, loaded to the brim with expensive little glass containers of drops, jugs of powder and bottles of pills, all referred to as “Nutritional Supplements”.

And, before we embark on this journey, I will say it a 100th time, if these chemicals are helping you, GREAT! TAKE THEM!

Subscribe

After I finished writing my last post, Vitamin B12 is Cyanide, I was laying in bed that evening, wondering why we question vaccines, pharmaceuticals and ingredients in food but never question Vitamins. I then thought to myself, “What do people think Vitamins are?”. Like, let’s say you ask someone, “What are Vitamins made from?”, what would they reply? This made me reflect on what I thought Vitamins were.

Call me foolish, call me a moron, call me whatever you want, but prior to researching Vitamins, I seriously thought Vitamin C was taken out of oranges or something. I guess, in my head, I pictured a scientist in a lab coat sticking a syringe into a piece of fruit to extract the Vitamins. Now that I type it out loud, it sure does sound dumb AF. Am I the only one who thought this? Or does everyone think this?

READ MORE IN THE LINK

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I posted this video once before so maybe some have already seen it but vitamin C saved this guy's life: VIDEO. It's just frustrating that the medical establishment has been so programmed to default to pharmaceuticals instead.

Wishful

as of today medicine is using again high dose IV vitamin C for cancer treatment. so pauling was right on that point.
Well, there have been plenty of fad treatments that were later proven useless or even harmful, so high dose VitC being used today does not necessarily mean that it is a good treatment. Is the new usage based on trustworthy replicated studies, or is it just a new fad?

linusbert

Well, there have been plenty of fad treatments that were later proven useless or even harmful, so high dose VitC being used today does not necessarily mean that it is a good treatment. Is the new usage based on trustworthy replicated studies, or is it just a new fad?
our university hospital is suggesting it, so i suppose its legit. but well... if you pump expensive pharma poison into the body you can also use the cheaper natural poison. but i bet any penny i have that IV vitamin C is less harmful than chemo to the body.

pamojja

In Does CoQ10 Deserve a Spot on Your Longevity Plan?, I pointed out that phenylalanine hydroxylase is inhibited by the concentrations of vitamin C achieved by repeatedly taking 3 grams orally or by using intravenous vitamin C.

Phenylalanine hydroxylase is needed to convert phenylalanine to tyrosine, and tyrosine is the precursor to the “head” of coenzyme Q10.

Thus, it is very likely that such use of vitamin C inhibits CoQ10 synthesis.

A little supplemented tyrosine helps.

I covered a study suggesting 500 milligrams of vitamin C taken three times a day with meals for two months lowers serum copper by 5% and lowers ceruloplasmin by 25%. This raises the possibility that taking 1500 milligrams of vitamin C per day with meals decreases copper status,

15 years of 25 g/d of ascorbic acid didn't decrease my much too high serum copper even a bid.

It would would also be helpful to verify that high-dose vitamin C does not increase resting fasted lactate.

My fasting lactate were always normal.

If you don’t have a specific reason to megadose vitamin C,

I experienced remissions from, otherwise by conventional medicine, considered irreversible diseases. Including a walking-disability from PAD, any symptoms of COPD, and finally PEMs. Not being disabled and able to come up for my own living, is already enough of a general reason for me.

pamojja

also this piece from another person is intersting about toxic supplements.

It seems he just made up his mind, without experiencing any toxicity or verifying it with Lab-tests. Meaningless, compared to my comprehensive supplement use, while testing regularly for any possible toxicity.

datadragon

I covered a study suggesting 500 milligrams of vitamin C taken three times a day with meals for two months lowers serum copper by 5% and lowers ceruloplasmin by 25%.

Copper is required to be attached to ceruloplasmin to be usable by the body for this and its many other functions, otherwise you can have plenty of copper intake but still be deficient at the same time due to the lack of ceruloplasmin to make it usable. Most are not low in intake but low in being able to produce ceruloplasmin allowing both unbound copper and iron to build up and potential deficiency at the same time. Ceruloplasmin, a copper-containing acute phase plasma protein, has been shown to be regulated by 13-cis retinoic acid, a metabolite of Vitamin A in rats https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3655940 Individuals lacking ceruloplasmin display iron overload in selected tissues, including liver, brain, and retina http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22515740 It has been explained that it is kind of like being in the middle of the ocean surrounded by water, yet still starved of usable water to drink.

Unfortunately there is always a balance with nutrients which is not well understood by most, and so I just regularly caution people based on the known research that taking high doses beyond short term use for specific reasons can get people in trouble at times since they interact. Regarding the concern over ongoing high dosing Vitamin C, Vitamin A is necessary for the binding of copper onto the protein ceruloplasmin which makes the copper usable by the body for its many functions (called bio available) and in turn, copper supports iron metabolism - Iron cant be absorbed and utilized without bioavailable (usable) copper. Ceruloplasmin is needed to make copper and iron usable by the body.

One research says that Ascorbic Acid reduced plasma Ceruloplasmin levels taking 605 mg/d, similar to those caused by a copper deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3694287 which seems in line with that 25% reduction. So a high dose of ascorbic acid could potentially fuel problems by lowering the ceruloplasmin levels, creating more free unbound copper which is harmful (involved in alzheimers for example). I believe this may be due to Vitamin C effect on lowering Vitamin A (but not vice versa like most),http://www.traceelements.com/Docs/The Nutritional Relationships of Vitamin A.pdf Please note that during inflammation or infection zinc and Vitamin A are also lowered which can lead to the same problem.

Its possible to check serum copper and serum ceruloplasmin (the usable copper) and can calculate free copper levels unbound to ceruloplasmin but this is a spot check at the time of the test only which would confirm or not if your high dosing is an issue or not right now. This does not reflect any long term accumulation in the tissues that may have also been going on.
https://web.archive.org/web/2021030...ients-families/lab-tracker-copper-calculator/

Whole Food C does not appear to have the same ceruloplasmin lowering effect, but all Vitamin C destroys copper on contact lowering the levels of copper which also might be an issue if you cause a copper deficiency was just one thought. Whole C therefore could theoretically also be a possible problem with a higher intake if copper levels are pushed too low causing a true deficiency, leading to iron accumulation and deficiency at the same time. Someone with existing lower copper levels found in 20% of people likely should not be taking much if any extra Vitamin C and those under chronic inflammation/infection need to be careful as ceruloplasmin may also be lowered from that. Monitoring c-reactive protein and other inflammatory markers can help.

oxalate, which itself is a mitochondrial toxin that inhibits citric acid cycle activity by 48% at concentrations found on the high end of the “normal” range.
Interesting. Oxalates are lowered by Vitamin B6 and B6 levels are mainly regulated by zinc. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/cofactors-their-necessity-a-dicussion.91265/post-2449770

Last edited:

pamojja

Most are not low in intake but low in being able to produce ceruloplasmin allowing both unbound copper and iron to build up and potential deficiency at the same time.

Other than too high serum copper, ceruloplasmin remained normal in my bloodwork. That configuration means of course too much unbound copper.

Ceruloplasmin, a copper-containing acute phase plasma protein, has been shown to be regulated by 13-cis retinoic acid, a metabolite of Vitamin A in rats

I wouldn't give too much attention to animal studies, if not replicated in humans. But for what it's worth, it took me 10 years of about 18.000 IU Retinol, to get my vitamin A serum levels from low normal to high normal.

all Vitamin C destroys copper on contact lowering the levels of copper

I wished it did o_O

linusbert

Not being disabled and able to come up for my own living, is already enough of a general reason for me.
then i would say you have a specific reason.

vitamin C is also one of the few supplements i use frequently.
It seems he just made up his mind, without experiencing any toxicity or verifying it with Lab-tests. Meaningless, compared to my comprehensive supplement use, while testing regularly for any possible toxicity.
yes i think he got the black pill. but i think he is more right than wrong. i also believe most supplements being more or less toxic, not because of the element being sold but everything else which is in there and shouldnt. and in cheap china and potentially other asia countries is more stuff which shouldnt be.

i think you got some special metabolic condition with copper going on. probably morbus wilson or similiar disease?

pamojja

or similiar disease?

Too many precondition to mention. But my serum copper is actually 'normal', just not in the functional medicine definition of healthy.

but everything else which is in there and shouldnt. and in cheap china and potentially other asia countries is more stuff which shouldnt be.

Not according to my lab-tests, which showed only improving of liver and kidney markers during the 15 years of comprehensive supplementing. Beside actually having suffered from nonalcoholic fatty-liver disease and CKD stage 1 in the past (suspect by a big part from repeated massive doses of pharmaceutical treatments against many malarias and spondilodiscitis).

I'm much more restrictive of intake in the Kg, not merely grams. Water and food is also full of antibiotics, PFAS, herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, additives and what not. But thats in real quantity.

edit: just checked my daily intake of ayurvedic herbs and extracts from India, together they do actually add up to above 20 g/d,

Last edited:

datadragon

Other than too high serum copper, ceruloplasmin remained normal in my bloodwork. That configuration means of course too much unbound copper
I would use this link to check: Its possible to check serum copper and serum ceruloplasmin (the usable copper) and can calculate free copper levels unbound to ceruloplasmin using this link but this is a spot check at the time of the test only which would confirm or not if your high dosing is an issue or not right now. This does not reflect any long term accumulation in the tissues that may have also been going on. https://web.archive.org/web/2021030...ients-families/lab-tracker-copper-calculator/

I wouldn't give too much attention to animal studies, if not replicated in humans. But for what it's worth, it took me 10 years of about 18.000 IU Retinol, to get my vitamin A serum levels from low normal to high normal.
In humans, Ceruloplasmin secretion-based drug screening identified all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA) and other active Vitamin A metabolites as promising candidates for rescuing Ceruloplasmin secretion. ATRA also alleviated reactive oxygen species (ROS) production induced by lipid accumulation in Wilsons Disease-specific hepatocytes https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ons-disease-october-2-2023.90883/post-2445674

Vitamin A is indeed lowered by Vitamin C so thats one issue. Vitamin A also require Zinc for its metabolism and thats where problems occur for many separate to that as under inflammation zinc availability is reduced since its being sequestered into the cell, and uptake/absorption is also reduced. Some of the Zinc/Vitamin A info I have posted such as here https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-vitamin-a-retinol-in-that.91474/post-2452441

all Vitamin C destroys copper on contact lowering the levels of copper
The main problems are as mentioned that using ascorbic acid vs whole C you can increase the amount of unbound free copper, but this also can happen from the prolonged inflammation and does not require genetics like in wilson's disease (which also can be overcome according to that research).

But my serum copper is actually 'normal', just not in the functional medicine definition of healthy.
If you use blood tests that is only a spot check at the moment of the test. It does not show any long term accumulation in tissues that may have happened prior.

vitamin C is also one of the few supplements i use frequently.
Then try to understand what was posted so you can do some testing or see if its helping or not.

pamojja

I would use this link to check

I did. It was 30 % unbound copper in average.

Vitamin A is indeed lowered by Vitamin C

Not in my case. I'm on the upper limit of normal with Serum retinol.

Low zinc seemingly is my uncorrectable problem. Went to supplementing up to 70 mg/d a whole year. Otherwise, 53 mg/d for 15 years in average.

The main problems are as mentioned that using ascorbic acid vs whole C you can increase the amount of unbound free copper,

Do you have a link to this statement? As said, my ceruloplasmin is in the middle of normal. Ascorbic acid allegedly lowers serum copper, but didn't in my case either.

a spot check at the moment of the test. It does not show any long term accumulation in tissues that may have happened prior.

My serum copper tests go back 10 years, whole blood copper 8 years (and this gradually improved to high end of normal). Same with zinc, where in whole blood it even decreased a bid, despite daily supplementation.

Copper/Zink ratio in serum, while most of the time above normal, increased lately. Whole blood Copper/Zink ratio has become normal for some time.

HTMAs, which I did to monitor heavy metal toxicity for consecutive 8 years (from so many Indian supplements) copper decreased from 17 ug/g to 7 (which is below normal). Same with zinc, from above normal 210 ug/g down to 130 (normal). Zinc/Copper HTMA ratios therefore fluctuated, without a clear trend. Always above normal.

But in the bigger picture, almost all my laboratory markers have been off from the functional medicine perspective. And overall most lab markers actually improved some, since more than a decade, correlating with my remissions (PAD, COPD and PEMs - 7th, 3th and 10th year respectively).

Last edited:

linusbert

No. Where is it available? And did you personally correct an otherwise intractable zinc deficiency with it?
i dont treat for zink deficiency, not taking it regularly. nor do i think i have a persistent zink deficiency.

there was a time i took zink picolinate though for multiple weeks or 1-2month once evening with my joghurt and my blood levels where on the high normal range.

i dont have experience with zink-histidine (its my current supplement form i have at home thou) but the science looks great because histidine is a natural transport protein for zink so the bio availability is great. it should be more dose effective than other forms, so taking less for same effect.
careful to get a real zink bound to histidine molecule and not a supplement which has Zink and l-histidine as 2 separate things in the supplement. maybe it helps or not. but the research is with the zink-histidine complex.

Last edited:

pamojja

but the research is with the zink-histidine complex.

Let's not get too much off-topic. But all too often research is just in test-tubes, and not about long term absorption of minerals of the human body. The best example is with my Mg-deficiency, where I basically felt no difference of all different forms in respect to very painful muscle-cramps, as long as the total amount of elemental Mg was the same grams.

Or all the science about liposomals, which allegedly would be so much better absorbed intracellularly. Until Dr. Levy himself made the experiment: With same dose of liposomal ascorbate and sodium ascorbate, actually the same level in white blood cells, but a 150% AUC of liposomal only. If liposomal, or in this case zinc-histitine, would only be 1/3 more expensive, it might indeed be worth a trial.

godlovesatrier

I don't think it has any effect (bad) on mitos at all. If it it did I think I'd know by now.

I started taking mag ascorbate 1g 3x a day in 2021 and continued for about 12 to 14 months. I got kidney stones from probably the vitamin c (common in men) so I had to stop, but now I've restarted because I found out that it completely gets rid of my allergic asthma and any lung pain....maybe it treats asthma but that might be a stretch - I never took it when I had covid so I can't tell you either way (asthma was bad with covid for 3 weeks maybe 4.

So yeah it works where a steroid inhaler doesn't I personally think it's something to do with bronchial inflammation + histamine abberance causing allergic asthma. But if I take antihistamines they don't have any effect and nor does my inhaler. It could be that the magnesium (like 50mg elemental) + 1g vitamin c is what does it.

Just my two pence!

linusbert

I don't think it has any effect (bad) on mitos at all. If it it did I think I'd know by now.

I started taking mag ascorbate 1g 3x a day in 2021 and continued for about 12 to 14 months. I got kidney stones from probably the vitamin c (common in men) so I had to stop, but now I've restarted because I found out that it completely gets rid of my allergic asthma and any lung pain....maybe it treats asthma but that might be a stretch - I never took it when I had covid so I can't tell you either way (asthma was bad with covid for 3 weeks maybe 4.

So yeah it works where a steroid inhaler doesn't I personally think it's something to do with bronchial inflammation + histamine abberance causing allergic asthma. But if I take antihistamines they don't have any effect and nor does my inhaler. It could be that the magnesium (like 50mg elemental) + 1g vitamin c is what does it.

Just my two pence!
very interesting, i also have a asthma situation i try to prevent from worsening.
so do you think it is this certain complex of Mg+C as ascorbate or do you think if you would take Mg separate and C separate it would do the same?
and do you need 3x 1g or does less work also? like 3x 250mg or so?

kidneystones can come in that case from too much oxalate through the high VC. reducing down the 500mg/d range or lets say 3x200mg might do the trick, but will the dose be enough to fix your asthma?
that would be interesting to know.

any specific reason why you did mg-ascorbate and not sodium-ascorbate or calcium-ascorbate or potassium-ascorbate? is there a difference in those?

i am using sodium ascorbate (but i ordered potassium ascorbate too). though sodium ascorbate from physiology should work good because the transport mechanisms need sodium

regarding mitos, thats a individual aspect depending on what your problem is. some can benefit with high dose VC by modifying the respiratory chain. i think it can bridge complex 4 or so.