• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extremely chapped lips

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Touché

I should try and cut back my emotions a bit? Didnt mean to seem like the Guy that gets into every single argument possible online, I am actually very friendly (or so I try to be every day!) 😭😅
If that was aimed at me, I took no offence at all. Actually I found it fitting as my original comment was a bit of an inside joke. Strawberry bought a pair of war/blowing horns I crafted last year.

My wife makes the best lip balm. The stuff is amazing. I'll see if I can grab the recipe from her to post here.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I've found that either honey and petroleum jelly mixed together, or Bag Balm (which is lanolin and petroleum jelly) are the best things for my lips. The latter can also be used to soothe chapped udders, in case your cows have been struggling in the dry winter air :p

Strawberry

Oh good grief, I forgot about bag balm! I wonder if I can still buy it? That is one of the things that helped when this started 30 years ago. Funny that I forgot, I keep my mango butter that is for my lips in the bag balm container….

Booble

@Strawberry I have ultra ultra dry lips as well -- and I live in a climate that is usually 75% - 85% humidity. I used to have one dentist who would always say "Your lips are so dry!" And he'd smear some balm on them.

I don't use anything on them because way back when I would find that my lips would get addicted to it so they would get even worse and then you'd need to add more and so on. So I rather just keep them at their own baseline dryness.

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Hoping you are able to post this. Not like I have the energy to make anything, but it’s worth a shot.
5 TBSP Castor Oil

1 TBSP Beeswax

2 tsp Raw Honey

3 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract

If want scented – 20 drops preferred essential oil

Makes about 3 oz

It took a while to get. I’ve been struggling a lot of late with severe levels of dysatutonomia and all that goes with it. My wife has also been struggling and in terrible pain as her Parkinson’s has drastically flared up with the changing of the seasons. It seems to happen with every winter to spring and late summer to autumn shifts.

over and out-

lenora

Hi @Nord....When are you and your wife leaving for your train trip? I hope all will go will and you'll both return ready for a better season.

Yes, the changes in weather have been difficult this year. Mine will start as much as 2 days or more in advance, and it's getting tiring and painful. Even my husband's knee has given out on him. He walks like Chester from the old 'Gunsmoke' cowboys. He never admits to anything being wrong....so I know he's in a lot of pain. Tell me, why are you men like that? (No, I'm not blaming you personally). Sorry that your wife is having a hard time of things also. Is your land making you worse, do you think? Radon, things like that?

Just a wild guess and trying to be helpful. Yours, Lenora

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Nord, sorry to hear about your wife. What kind of pain does the Parkinson's give her?
She has both PD and essential tremor, so she has mostly full body tremors; neck, arms, hands, full torso from upper back to abdomen and into her hips. The medication combo works for the most part in keeping away rigidity and the bulk of tremors, but when major seasons shift or she alters the medication dosage, she gets flare ups. The constant severity of the tremor activity then causes wicked muscle and tendon tightness, knots, and fatigue in all those above-mentioned regions. The pain comes from all of that. During the flare ups she also deals with various levels of insomnia because the tremors don’t allow her body-brain to remain sleeping. This adds to fatigue and more muscle exhaustion, since the only time tremor ceases in PD is during sleep.

She with PD and essential tremor, and me with severe dysautonomia, PoTS, M.E., and neurological vision loss… we make quite the pair these days! And we are only in our 50s. 🙄

Booble

She has both PD and essential tremor, so she has mostly full body tremors; neck, arms, hands, full torso from upper back to abdomen and into her hips. The medication combo works for the most part in keeping away rigidity and the bulk of tremors, but when major seasons shift or she alters the medication dosage, she gets flare ups. The constant severity of the tremor activity then causes wicked muscle and tendon tightness, knots, and fatigue in all those above-mentioned regions. The pain comes from all of that. During the flare ups she also deals with various levels of insomnia because the tremors don’t allow her body-brain to remain sleeping. This adds to fatigue and more muscle exhaustion, since the only time tremor ceases in PD is during sleep.

She with PD and essential tremor, and me with severe dysautonomia, PoTS, M.E., and neurological vision loss… we make quite the pair these days! And we are only in our 50s. 🙄

Thank you for sharing that information. That sounds awfully uncomfortable.
Wishing you both the best.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
It took a while to get. I’ve been struggling a lot of late with severe levels of dysatutonomia and all that goes with it. My wife has also been struggling and in terrible pain as her Parkinson’s has drastically flared up with the changing of the seasons. It seems to happen with every winter to spring and late summer to autumn shifts.
Sorry to hear you're both going through so much right now.

Please do thank her for the recipe and you for posting it for us.

lenora

Yes, please thank your wife. Sharing the recipe was most kind. I do hope both of you with have big health improvements. Yours, Lenora

Nord Wolf

The Northman
When are you and your wife leaving for your train trip? I hope all will go will and you'll both return ready for a better season.

Yes, the changes in weather have been difficult this year. Mine will start as much as 2 days or more in advance, and it's getting tiring and painful. Even my husband's knee has given out on him. He walks like Chester from the old 'Gunsmoke' cowboys. He never admits to anything being wrong....so I know he's in a lot of pain. Tell me, why are you men like that? (No, I'm not blaming you personally). Sorry that your wife is having a hard time of things also. Is your land making you worse, do you think? Radon, things like that?
The climate here has certainly been shifting strongly in the past 5 years. We’ve been here for 17 years now, and the past 5 years have been far more humid/damp year-round, wetter by far, far more mediocre air quality days in summer, longer allergy season, far more cloudy days year-round… so less sun, and longer more drawn-out damp winters. Our overall barometric pressure is averaging far lower than it used to as well. So, yes, we do feel the changing climate here is throwing rocks along our health path. We continue to look at new place to move, but with the housing market the way it is, that task isn’t easy. That and of course everything involved in moving… energetically.

As to historically men trying not to complain about how they feel… I feel it is a social conditioning from when we are young. We grow-up learning to and being expected to suppress our emotions and their external expression, for the most part and generally speaking. Depending upon the decade in-which we did the most growing-up, combined with the beliefs of parents… and then further by what field of employment we entered… all plays a part I feel.

If everything goes well, really well, our train departs on May 8th and returns 3 weeks later. Our son and his girlfriend live here so we don’t need to worry about anyone minding the house and land while we are away. I really hope it works out because we both need a nice relaxing get-away where someone else does the driving!! We got discounted disability tickets and the redhat service, which is where a train employee is assigned to us on each train to help us with our baggage, getting on and off cars, and bringing us meals and whatnot.