• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Be careful with low carb / keto diets

Artemisia

Breakfast: hard boiled egg, oatmeal, blueberries,
Funny! I have the same breakfast but I usually have apple or banana instead of blueberries. Plus milk.

Do you drink coffee?
I started drinking 1 cup/day the past 2 years. It seems to help with the glycogen storage issue that low carbing created. But I worry it increases PEM subtly for me.

Booble

Funny! I have the same breakfast but I usually have apple or banana instead of blueberries. Plus milk.

Do you drink coffee?
I started drinking 1 cup/day the past 2 years. It seems to help with the glycogen storage issue that low carbing created. But I worry it increases PEM subtly for me.

Ha! See, we are more alike then we knew! I love banana in oatmeal too.
I don't drink coffee. More so because I never developed a taste for it.
I relish the idea of having the energy from coffee but also feel like it's better not get started. And some concern that it might trigger my eye auras.
Instead of coffee I drink the cocoa powder in hot water.
It tastes yummy, gives me a hot drink to have, and I'm hoping for the benefit of the cocoa for heart health.
I try to put out of my mind the bits of concern about it being too much for the kidneys and now the newer concern of all the heavy metals they have found in commercial cocoa.

JES

My experience was a bit similar. Keto does work for some people long-term but they seem to be in the minority. My keto experiment ended shorter than a week. At first I felt improvement, which tends to happen when I switch things up as the ME/CFS state can be disrupted momentarily. What happened next was that I got gradually weaker until I started to feel too weak to get out of bed. Zero energy. Surely this is not the average reaction to keto either so whatever is broken in ME/CFS can clearly be made worse by keto it seems.

Intermittent fasting on the other hand seems to be fine with me and I can better see the arguments for it as it increases autophagy among other things without much of the negatives. As soon as I extend a complete fast beyond 20 hours I experience the same issues as from keto except much worse to the point where I felt my body barely functioned the next day.